Following on from the last post, where I shared the 40th Birthday card I made for my sister, I wanted to show another project which is very similar and also made from the same design papers.
This project was for a friend's 30th Birthday, just a few days after my sisters, so I was mega busy at that time - they take a lot of making - and that means everything takes twice as long for me (or at least it feels that way).
The card was based on the same theme - book style pages on a folded A3 sheet of cardstock which was then trimmed so make it just a bit larger than the book pages - not quite a full A4 card overall. I used Spellbinders beaded ovals to mount my electronically cut oval and number 30. All the flowers were quilled flowers from Digital Delights (see previous post).
All flowers and leaves were cut from 240gsm+ cardstock and coloured with distressing inks of various colours. Stickles glitter glue was used on the beaded ovals and the number 30, as well as on the flowers. When I want to apply this lightly, I squiggle some on my glass mat, then apply where I want it to be with either my finger, or a cotton bud.
Full on large bling went on this side. I just had enough to do every other 'bead'. Any more would have looked dreadful anyway. A single quilled rose was placed in the top right corner to balance the flowers at the bottom left of the card.
The card stood up as a tent fold card - it wasn't actually the 'book' that stood up, although you get the appearance that it does stand up. A greeting poem and personal message went inside the tent folded card.
Here is the box:
I made Kelly's two daughters a little decorated box to hold a headband I'd bought them instead of an Easter egg. I made them individual boxes each with their initial on:
The girls love their boxes. I then decorated a plain brown bag to put everything in. It is the first time I've decorated one of these - I bought a couple of packs from a shop called Home Bargains - and they were cheap as chips - sold as lunch bags.
I know there is so much more I could have done with the bag, but because there had been a lot to the card itself, as well as the box, the bag was very fitting. The card box, a gift and the both the girls boxes all fitted in the bag so they are quite spacious. I think I paid in the region of 79p for the pack - I'll have to check because I can't remember how many bags there were in the pack. I know I felt like a bargain anyway.
Here is a pic of what one of the flowers looks when it has just been cut and taken off the cutting mat
you then get a quilling tool, which is like a pokey tool only the end has a slit in it, and place the outer most petal in the tool then start to wind. Once wound, the end needs to be secured with a strong glue or a glue dot so that it cannot come undone again. Here's what it looked like when completed:
Different petals give different overall flowers. I'd then ink the edge of the petals up with my distress inks, applied with a piece of dry cut foam.
Here are a few I previously made. Different affect achieved using different coloured card stock to begin with. Remember to use those colours that are already in your project - pick one of the colours out of your design paper so that it ties all the project together. The advantages of using white or cream means that you can achieve the look with distress inks - and there are plenty of colours to choose from...
I hope you enjoyed this post about my project and quilled flowers. The next post will be about the gift and gift box I made to go with this card - all to the same person of course!
Thanks for stopping by and reading my post - don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help out and answer any queries you may have. If not, please leave a comment telling me you have been to visit.
Paula x x x